The Degree Course in Food Science and Technology has been designed to produce graduates possessing good basic and practical knowledge in the main sectors of food science and technology. Graduates will acquire operational competences for technical and managerial professional roles and for supportive activities in the control of food processing and production in industries, laboratories and services in the food production sector.
At the end of the Course, graduates in Food Science and Technology will acquire:
- good basic knowledge in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology for practical activities in the food industry sector
- adequate mastery of the scientific method in order to apply basic and operational competences to the solution of problems and to the development of innovative technology in food production chain and industry
- good theoretical and operational knowledge of the core subjects in the food sector, with particular reference to production technologies, food components and microbiologic elements, safety, nutritional quality, hygiene and organoleptic control; knowledge applied to the economic aspects of the sector in relation to the market and to the management of production companies, processing and marketing of food products;
- knowledge of human nutrition principles for health prevention and protection, in a strong relationship with medical disciplines
- knowledge of food legislation
- deep awareness of the professional and ethical responsibilities and capacity of evaluating the social and environmental impact of the food sector activities
- mastery of at least one European language beyond Italian: English is generally used in the specific area of expertise and for the exchange of general information;
- good computer skills, information management and communication abilities
- good capacities, mainly acquired through internships and/or on-the-job training, of working both autonomously and into groups, of adapting to the working environment and to its evolution.